Tuesday, March 15, 2005

American, boy, girl and handicapped people

1. Americans (***disappointed head shake***)

Americans are sooo embarrasing when they travel abroad. They can't stop announcing all the things that are different about Europe and the US. "Oh my God, everythiing is so small here! Everything is big in America!" They LOVE accents and make other English speakers from England, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa and Scotland say things again and again. If I hear "Say something in British!" one more time, there may be bloodshed.

So, in true American form, this girl chatted Matt up the other day at the club and went on to proclaim that she had just recently figured out the difference between the English and Australian accent. To test her, Matt tapped Lawson, our super-Scottish roommate, on the shoulder and said, "Tell me where he's from." Lawson, feeling the tap, said, "What do you bloody want?" With that one phrase our American friend pegged it; "Oh my God! You're Australian!!!"

Lawson almost puked up his beer, then quickly recovered and said, "Why, how did you know?"

We died; frankly we couldn't believe he hadn't resorted to violence......and then we continued the charade for the rest of the night, making up a whole Australian life for Law......who, by the way, is from Melbourne.


2. Boys and Girls

So my roommate Matt looks and talks almost exactly like this girl Virena who is from his hometown. She came out to visit once and the similarity almost knocked me over. No one else sees it, but I do and I tell Matt every time he does something Virena-ish.

While my bro was visiting, I continued this habit. At one point Matt turned to Sam and said, "Do you have any idea what it's like to be told you look like a girl on a daily basis?"

In response, Sam smooshed his face next to mine and said, "Why yes, I do." Classic.


3. Broken Spanish.....and people

So my Spanish is getting decent, but I still have my lost in translation moments.

Take the other night when I was trying to say that two people had broken up. I meant to say "they broke up," which would be "rompieron," but I thought this verb would be reflexive in this case, since Spanish is full o' reflexives. I thought I should say "se rompieron" in order to indicate that "they broke up with each other," but this means, "they got broken."

My friends just paused quizzically and then Marta said, "Did someone break a leg?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Edgar said...

I thought I would offer my two cents, and you have probably been corrected on this already, but for a break up in spanish acceptable terms are:
"quebraron en plano"
"terminaron su relacion"
and I am now drawing a blank and feel like a stupid americanized mexican.

June 30, 2005 at 4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home