Thursday, March 03, 2005

An Entertainingly Useless Solution

In Barcelona there is a Tram, the last one in Spain. It has a driver who steers the trolley from a cockpit, and other than him or her, there are no employees on the Tram...thus no one ever pays when they board. There are little scanner machines one ought to run their transit ticket through upon entering the Tram, but no one does so.

This has caused obvious budget issues for the Tram company, so they've implemented a plan of action. They've hired 50 actors to take turns riding the transit system in pairs, playing various characters. When the Tram is good and full, the actors break into an argument that generally goes as follows:
"You didn't pay for your transit?! Why?"
"Well, why should I?"
"What do you do for a living? Can you not afford transit? You're receiving a service and you should pay to maintain it."
"Wow, you're right. I may only be a teacher [or other profession], but I don't have to steal the services I utilize."
Then the 2nd actor gets up in front of everyone, who can't have helped overhearing the loud argument, and pays.

I read about this in the paper, but I don't usually take the Tram....but according to Oliver who has seen this in person, after the actor pays, everyone applaudes....but still, no one pays.

I LOVE IT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home