Thursday, September 30, 2004

Reclaiming "douche"

WHAT I LEARNED TODAY:
The three rules of hackey-sack:
1. No hands
2. No saying "I'm sorry"
3. No smoking

----------------------------------------------------

So we've taught out first lessons to our students! My cohort is teaching intermediate level students. We have 17 students who vary from 17yrs to 53yrs and are mostly from Catalunya and of varying abilities. They are super cool people.

The highlight of class was when Oliver came to sit down after giving his lesson (which was terrific) and almost vomited. He was distinctly green. It was awesome.

My lesson went ok, but I definitiely have lots of room for improvement. Alas....that is whyI am here. I think I will really like this whole teaching to adults bag, though. The students are hilarious and motivated because they are in class for their own reasons. Meanwhile, school is excellent; the professors (Duncan, Anna, Iona, Steff, etc.) here are SO wonderful and make class rather interesting. I have yet to be bored, which is great since I am at the school 12 hours each day. The best teachers always are those who teach how to teach :)

On a lighter note, we all went out to the nearby pub after class last night (everyone needed a drink after our first day of teaching) and had a great time. We've totally bonded and it's only been three days! This Saturday the class plans to play football/soccer and hackey-sack at the beach and then Luis is having a party. (I feel ready now that Luis has clearly explained the off-sides rule to me.) I've made close friends with Kelly, Oliver, Luis, Emem, Rina and Keith, which is definitely excellent. I'll probably write about them much.

At the pub last night Christine, from Minnesota, happened to call someone a "douche bag." The Brits had never heard this term, so we explained. The guys thought it was THE BEST thing they had ever heard (?!). They totally think it's a compliment to call someone a "douche bag" because it means you're "getting some." For the rest of the night they referred to one another with this epithet and when I walked in to study group this morning, they were still using it. Alas, the day has finally come for "douche" to take it's rightful place in the sun.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home